MOC — Frequently Asked Questions

Since I passed the board examinations prior to 2002 and have a Lifetime Certificate, must I participate in the MOC process?
No. Your Lifetime Certificate remains valid. However, you are strongly encouraged to participate in the MOC process to demonstrate your commitment to lifelong learning. In addition, your state or healthcare organization may require re-examination within the last 10 years.

Is the American Board of Radiology the only board with an MOC process?
No. All 24 member boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) now issue time limited certificates (6 to 10 year cycles) and require participation in a MOC process to maintain those certificates.

How do I participate in the MOC program?
If you hold a lifetime certificate, you must enroll in the MOC program with the American Board of Radiology.  If you are time-limited certificate holder you are automatically enrolled in the program.  Then you must satisfy each of the four components and competencies over a 10-year cycle of the MOC. 

What are the competencies? 

MOC requires that each diplomate provide evidence of maintaining the essential competencies involved in delivery of quality care. The six ACGME/ABMS MOC competencies are:

  1. Medical knowledge
  2. Patient care
  3. Interpersonal and communication skills
  4. Professionalism
  5. Practice-based learning and improvement
  6. Systems-based practice

What are the four components? 

  1. Professional Standing. This part requires a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine in all states in which you hold an active license.
  2. Lifelong learning and self assessment. A minimum of 250 Accreditation Council for Medical Education (ACGME) approved Category 1 CME credits are required over the 10-year cycle. A minimum of 70% of the 250 hours must be in specialty-specific or related areas, with the remaining 30% in either clinically-related topics or relevant topics such as risk assessment, ethics, statistics, the processes of continuous quality improvement, methodologies of outcomes measurement, etc. Self assessment is accomplished through a series of 20 self assessment modules (SAMs) over the 10-year cycle. SAMs that are approved for Category 1 credit contribute to both the lifelong learning credit hours and the self assessment requirement. To count toward MOC, the SAM must be approved by the ABR. Four must be classified as noninterpretive and 16 must be classified as clinical content related to the diplomates specific clinical practice. Eighty percent of the exam will focus on clinical content; with non-interpretive skills accounting for 20% of the exam.
  3. Cognitive Expertise. This component requires passing a a proctored, secure, computer-based examination within the last three years of the MOC cycle. The examination consists of general and clinical content related to the diplomates practice profile. 
  4. Practice Performance/Practice Quality Improvement.  Each diplomate (as an individual or as part of a practice group, institution or society) must complete a practice quality improvement project during the 10-year MOC cycle.  The ABR web site provides detailed steps necessary to complete this component. The ARRS has PQI templates available that meet the ABR requirements.